Valentines day is getting close and I just couldn’t resist making a breakfast that your can surprise someone special with. I love french toast or eggy bread as simon calls it, but I think I will stick to calling it french toast. Anyway no matter what you want to call it, it is tasty goodness thats easy peasy to make.
Valentines Day Strawberry French Toast Recipe
Serves: 2 | Total Time: 25 minutes
• 200g strawberries, chopped
• 20g sugar, plus 2 tsp
• juice of 1/2 a lemon
• 1 tsp cornflour
• 2 eggs
• 100ml milk
• dash of vanilla extract
• red or pink food colour
• 4 slices of bread
• butter for frying in
• icing sugar for dusting
1. First make the strawberry puree sauce. Place the chopped strawberries, sugar, lemon and cornflour in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes or until the strawberries are cooked and soft. Let the puree cool a little then blitz with a hand blender for a few seconds.
2. In a bowl whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla. Now you want to transfer about 1/3 of the mixture to another bowl, you are going to add a drop or two of food colour to this portion. Set aside.
3. This is the fun part, use a cookie cutter to cut shapes out of your bread slices. You can do a large heart or two small ones or anything else that pleases you. The bread I am using I got from my local asian supermarket, it is slightly sweet, the slices are thicker and the crusts were already cut off.
4. Heat a small amount of butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Dunk the bread in the plain egg mixture and the cut out hearts in the pink egg mixture, make sure every part of the bread is soaked. Now cook untill golden on both sides, flipping halfway through. I found I needed to turn down the head so that it could cook the whole way through without going to dark on the outside.
5. serve the french toast with strawberry puree drizzled over it and a dusting of icing sugar. I also sliced a strawberry and used a very small heart shaped cookie cutter to cut shapes as extra garnish.
Sit back and enjoy!