Like I mentioned in this post I am now trying to cook with in season ingredients, so here is a nice and easy place to start for January: leek and potato soup. It is easy, doesn’t take too long, the ingredients are cheap and it is simply yum!
• 2 medium potatoes, peeled and finely sliced
• 120g unsalted butter
• 3 medium onions, finely sliced
• 6-8 leeks, finely sliced
• thyme, celery leaves and parsley tied together with string
• 1l vegetable stock, warmed
• 150ml cream
1. Rince the sliced potatoes under cold running water for a minute or two then drain.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan then add the onion and potato and sweat for 10 minutes over medium heat. Add the leek and cook for 5 minutes more.
3. Add the warmed stock and the bunch of herbs, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. Add the cream and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
4. Remove the herb bunch and liquidize the soup. If you like your soup silky smooth you can then pass it through a sieve, but this step is optional. season with salt and garnish with finely chopped chives.